Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Turkish Delight!

Istanbul was an amazing first city abroad! I had a very long layover there, fortunately, Turkish Airlines gives you a free day tour! Even the food is free! English was very common among people and everyone was very excited to speak Spanish with me when I told them I was Mexican! Plus, apparently the entire world watches novelas allowing for instant bonding moments! In general, Turkish people were incredibly welcoming!

The mosques were extraordinary! I've never seen anything like them before. There are many of them and all are of equal magnitude as far as drama and size are concerned.

There is a massive cistern from the Roman Empire that I got to walk through. There is so much history in this city, I wish I could speak about it intellectually, but I can't. Again, I find myself regretting what a poor student of history I was!

My favorite part about Istanbul was a museum called the Hagia Sophia. It was originally built as a cathedral by the Roman Empire, then converted to a mosque by the Ottoman Empire. However, because its against Islamic tradition to destroy any religious items, non of the mosaics from the cathedral were destroyed, they were only covered up and Islamic scriptures were put up. Now that it's a museum they've uncovered some of the Christian mosaics, and today Islam and Christianity co-exist inside this beautiful building in a way that they don't and can't anywhere else in the world. I found it pretty inspirational!

Istanbul also has a beautiful collection of stray cats that love attention! Yes, I touched all of them! No, it's probably not safe to do so!

Lastly, I went to the spice market and fell in love with a Turkish boy! He lavished me with gifts...mostly candy!

-Elisa

P.S. I have no idea how to blog, including something as simple as embedding the pictures within the text. Sorry.

P.S.S. I may or may not have unintentionally fabricated or altered what may seem like facts about Istanbul's history, you should go there yourself! Seriously, Turkish Airlines not only gives you a free tour, they also continuously provide beer and wine on your flight, there's no reason not to go.

3rd P.S. Raquel, I am not as good as you at this endless supply of P.S.














5 comments:

  1. miss you sister. I hope I can make it to Istanbul soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too! You should come to Kenya first! Show mom my blog!

      Delete
  2. Elisa!!! I love the blog! I feel as though you just began a story and I get to be an inactive participant in your journey and I love it!!! Thank you for creating this and sharing your experiences. I am so happy and excited for you!! This is going to be priceless, can't wait to read more!!! Be safe and don't go petting too many stray cats out there! ;o)
    -Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nat! I'm glad you're enjoying it! It's really intimidating to write a blog, but it's motivating that you read it and comment! It's also much easier than writing emails!

      Delete
    2. Miss you!!! Hope everything is going well!

      Delete